*** PLEASE NOTE ***
We are no longer able to take bookings for accommodation.
We are sorry for any inconvenience and thank all our customers for their custom.
With very best wishes, Ann-Mari and Peter
A cosy, traditional bed and breakfast, with elegantly furnished period interiors, only two minutes walk from Burghley Park and five minutes from the historic Stamford Town Centre.
Park Gate House was originally the Fitzwilliam Arms strategically placed outside the now defunct Stamford East railway station, a building that looks more like an Elizabethan manor house than a terminus.
The house is two minutes from both the banks of the River Welland and the gate to Burghley Park.
It is a gentle 15 minute stroll to Burghley House, the ultimate Elizabethan house. Built between 1550 and 1587 by William Cecil, Elizabeth 1st Chancellor, much of the detailing is Renaissance in feeling. Its crowning achievement is the roofline: towers, turrets, domes, balustrades, obelisks and tall classical chimney stacks all vie for attention. The grounds are free.
John Betjeman referred to Stamford as “England’s best stone town.” Sir Walter Scott believed that the view of St Mary’s Church and the town beyond was the finest sight on the road between London and Edinburgh. Pevsner called Stamford “The climax of Lincolnshire in terms of historical as well as architectural significance.”
Nothing has changed.
It is no coincidence that Middlemarch and Pride and Prejudice were both filmed in the town.
Park Gate House proprietors Ann Mari and Peter have known Stamford for many years. Peter runs the local Antiques Centre, St Martins Antiques, which explains the tastefully furnished period interiors.